ILE ROUSSE CORSICA
“Where the mountains meet the sea,” the beautiful island of Corsica, set in the blue waters of the Mediterranean between Italy and France, is steeped in history. Ile Rousse is built on the site of an old roman settlement. She rivals Calvi as a seaside resort, with nice sandy beaches and good accommodation facilities. The port of Ile Rousse was built by Pasquale Paoli –most famous Corsican Patriot-in 1758 to replace Calvi, still in Genoese hands, has taken the place of first port in this region for exporting fresh fruit and olive oil. The harbour is located on an peninsula, red coloured rock, that just comes out of the sea hence the name of Ile Rousse which means “ reddish island”. There is a lighthouse at the outer end of the island with an old ruined tower. Returning to the mainland a street leads from port to town centre along a nice sandy beach, towards the main square Place Paoli. In the middle of the square there is a statue of Pascal Paoli. During Summer season, the square surrounded by palm trees welcomes numerous tourists looking for some shade and refreshing ice cream. The old market situated in the middle of the town, faced to the Paoli square, offers a large choice of fresh fruits and veggies as well as fish from the catch of the day, or a sample of the famous Corsican delicatessen, cheeses, honeys and wines.