Ostrov Gerald is a small, isolated granitic island in the Chukchi Sea, less than 40 nautical miles to the east of Wrangel Island. It was named after a survey vessel, the HMS Herald, which visited the island in 1849 while searching for the vanished expedition of Sir John Franklin, and it’s English name is in fact, Herald Island. Steep cliffs ring the island in all but one slim area of accessible shoreline at the northwestern point of the island. Here the cliffs have eroded into piles of rock and one can find the only possible landing spot on this unglaciated, remote, and uninhabited island. Since 1976, both Herald and Wrangel Islands belong to the Russian’s Wrangel Island Wildlife Preserve. In 2004, Herald Island, Wrangel Island, and the waters surrounding them were added to UNESCO's World Heritage List.