CAPE ST.ELIAS (Kayak Island, Alaska)
United States of America
Cape St Elias is the southwest end of Kayak Island in the Gulf of Alaska. It is separated from the mainland by a channel 4 miles wide. The island, named by Lt. Sarichef of the Russian Navy in 1826 because its outline resembles the shape of an Eskimo skin canoe, is 20 miles long and only 2 miles wide and covered in dense rainforest. The cape itself was named by Russian explorer Vitus Bering on July 20, 1741 in honour of St. Elias, whose saint's day is July 20. The lighthouse, located at the southernmost tip, is a National Historic Landmark. It was built in 1916, and has been automated since 1974. It has been, and continues to be, an indispensable navigational aid along the shipping lanes from the contiguous American states and South-eastern Alaska to Cordova, Valdez, Seward, and Anchorage.