At Silversea, our top priority has always been to safeguard the health and safety of our guests, crew, and the communities we visit. Partnering with leading medical experts and governmental authorities from around the world, the Royal Caribbean Group formed the Healthy Sail Panel to ensure that our guests can travel in luxury with unwavering confidence. Silversea Cruises has introduced a comprehensive, multi-layered set of science-backed protocol, which, informed and approved by the Healthy Sail Panel, will help to safeguard guests.
Silversea will continue to work closely with relevant governing bodies and health authorities to evolve its health and safety procedures, as new health recommendations are issued and as the fluid situation advances.
The protocol includes several areas of focus.
All updates will be published on this page as soon as the situation evolves.
AREAS OF FOCUS
Updated on 1st December, 2022
All embarking crew, and all guests aged 12 years and older, must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least two weeks prior to embarkation. Only guests with vaccines approved by the WHO will be permitted to board. A copy of the vaccination certificate must be uploaded to the guest’s ‘My Silversea’ in advance of their travels, in addition to showing their vaccination certificate or printed copy during the check-in and embarkation process.
As the global travel landscape continues to evolve, we will require that each guest ensures their COVID-19 vaccination status is up to date for both their country of residence and the intended countries they plan to visit.
VACCINATION & ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
All guests are kindly asked to ensure they comply with the country-specific entry requirements for the country from which their ship/cruise begins. For New Zealand entry requirements, please click here.
Guests are advised to check the official New Zealand Government website here to understand the country's entry requirements, including Entry/Visa Requirement.
To embark a Silversea vessel, all guests aged 12 and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at least two weeks before embarking on the vessel. Guests must bring proof of vaccination or boarding will be denied.
Guests are responsible for complying with local health and safety regulations – in the country of embarkation, in countries through which they transit on their return journeys, and in their country of origin upon their return home.
PRE-EMBARKATION TESTING REQUIREMENTS
Fully Vaccinated Guest Embarkation Testing Requirements
Guests embarking on a Silversea vessel who are fully vaccinated or up-to-date are no longer required to present a negative PCR or Antigen test.
Guests who are fully vaccinated or up-to-date must bring their proof of vaccination to the ship or boarding will be denied.
Unvaccinated Guest Embarkation Testing Requirements
Unvaccinated Guests (we only accept unvaccinated individuals from 0 to 11 years old) must present a valid Antigen or PCR negative test result performed within 24 hours of embarkation:
- The test may be administered by a verified third party, either a laboratory or pharmacy OR a self-test at home, verified by a third party (telehealth provider, pharmacy or laboratory).
- The certificate must contain the guest’s name (as shown on the cruise ticket), as well as the date of test, and result. You must provide a digital or printed proof upon embarkation.
IMPORTANT: self-test at home kits cannot be verified by a friend or family member.
PLEASE NOTE: All guests aged from 0 to 2 years old are exempted from testing.
As Silversea will no longer be providing pier-side testing for embarking guests, it is imperative that all guests arrive to the pier with their individual negative test result. If guests arrive for embarkation without a valid negative test result, they will be denied boarding.
Pre-Arrival Testing Option
- The Antigen test may be administered by a verified third party, either a laboratory or pharmacy OR a self-test at home, verified by a third party (telehealth provider, pharmacy or laboratory). The Certificate must contain the guest’s name (as shown on the cruise ticket), as well as date of test, and result. You must provide a digital or printed proof upon embarkation.
- Whilst approved self-test kits are now readily available at pharmacies and drugstore chains, Silversea is pleased to make them available for order pre-cruise. We suggest that you order them at least one full week in advance of your sailing. These tests allow you to complete your pre-cruise test at home, or in any place of your choosing, with the help of live video supervision by a Certified Testing Guide. Your results are typically ready in about 15 minutes. Please click here to order your home self-test kit.
Physical distancing amongst guests will no longer be required; although our crew will maintain this practice.
Thanks to the intimate size of our ships and the abundance of space enjoyed by our guests, our ships can guarantee physical distancing with only minor reconfigurations to onboard public areas.
Our flexible embarkation procedure will be further relaxed by the implementation of staggered check-in times at various locations on the pier. This will ensure space for every guest to embark in comfort and safety.
- Guests wishing to go ashore will be able to experience each port either on Silversea’s shore excursions or, in destinations where permitted, independently, at their leisure—all whilst respecting local health and safety requirements, if and when applicable.
- All shore excursions will comply with Silversea’s health and safety measures. To better prepare for your journey with us, please book your shore excursions through My Silversea before your voyage. You are reminded to carry your vaccination certification with you when exploring each destination, as you may be required to present proof of vaccination to access restaurants, transportation, and local attractions.
The wearing of masks during the cruise will be at each guest’s discretion. Masks are highly recommended inside shore excursion buses,unless there is a local requirement that makes them mandatory. You may be required to wear masks at indoor venues. Whilst we recognise that the wearing of a mask is a personal choice, we do strongly encourage our guests to wear a mask whilst indoors aboard ship, other than when actively eating or drinking, or when in the privacy of your suite.
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Extensive cleaning and sanitation measures have been introduced to ensure the highest standards of cleanliness are met. These around the clock measures include constant sanitation of public and high-traffic areas. Suites will be disinfected twice daily. Departure terminals will be subject to continual disinfection on all surfaces both before and after embarkation. Where permitted, we will implement fogging to sanitise hard to reach and potentially hazardous areas.
Upon embarkation, guests will be provided with a portable sanitisation kit, which will include hospital grade hand sanitiser. Hand sanitising points will be placed in easily accessible and strategic points throughout the ship.
The highest grade of medical air filters (MERV 13 or HPA according to HVAC standards) have been installed on board our ships. On each of our ships, our HVAC systems supply fresh, filtered air from outdoors to all areas. This continual intake of fresh air means old air is replaced, with a full total air change per hour - well above the minimum required.
Our high-quality onboard medical care is stronger than ever, with enlarged teams of doctors and/or nurses on each ship, as well as state-of-the-art equipment enhancements. Additionally, all ships have been appointed with an Infection Control Officer. This person is responsible for ensuring that all enhanced sanitary measures are met. Our multi-level COVID-19 Expert Response Plan has been developed and approved by the Healthy Sail Panel to contain an outbreak if a positive case is confirmed. These protocols include tracing methods and notification of those who may have been exposed, as well as dedicated isolation and quarantine areas.
BOOKING WITH CONFIDENCE
Should authorities in a guest’s country of residence prohibit travel, or should a guest or a member of their travelling party test positive for COVID-19 within 10 days of embarkation, the guest will be able to convert their booking into a 100% Future Cruise Credit or receive a 100% refund for the total booking amount. Click here for more information.
Silversea has developed a robust repatriation plan should any guest or crew member fall ill with COVID-19 while on board one of our ships. We have worked closely with local authorities to ensure that immediate medical attention is provided should the need arise, and have strengthened and upgraded our telemedicine consultations. Silversea will cover COVID-19-related expenses for onboard medical and repatriation costs.