Harbour Island is a small slip of island, extending three miles from north to south and less than half a mile wide. The island at the northern tip of the much larger Eleuthera Island. Despite its small size it has about 1,700 residents and one incorporated town, Dunmore Town, named after the governor of the Bahamas John Murray, the 4th Earl of Dunmore (1785 to 1798 governorship). The island is known for its pink sand beaches – the pink comes from a microscopic organism (foraminifera) with a reddish-pink shell. Harbour Island charms every visitor, with its colorful Colonial houses and wild horses occasionally spotted running along the serene beaches.