Experience how different and yet how beautiful two countries can be on this journey through Great Britain and Iceland. We will sail from capital to capital, London to Reykjavik, with stops in Scotland and Wales. The voyage starts as you pass under the storied Tower Bridge high and regal above the Silver Cloud. We carry on down the Thames River past Greenwich, then make our way to the tiny Isles of Scilly where we will visit the unique sub-tropical Tresco Abbey Gardens, cultivated around a 10th century Benedictine Abbey. Further on we will search for incredible bird cliffs in Wales, Scotland, the Faroe Islands and Iceland, including the astounding numbers of puffins, gannets and guillemots that can be seen in Latrabjarg, Europe’s largest bird cliff. Ride aboard the Isle of Man Steam Railway, the island’s oldest Victorian rail system with its original carriages still in operation. In Iceland there will be time to explore the volcanic landscapes and to watch for whales. Throughout the voyage, learn about the history, geology, wildlife and botany of these naturally beautiful locations from lecture presentations offered by your knowledgeable onboard Expedition Team.
- Tresco, Isles of Sicily –Visit Tresco Abbey Gardens, an astounding 17-acre sub-tropical paradise with palm trees and brilliant flora nestled amidst the ancient ruins of a Benedictine abbey (964 AD). Thousands of exotic plants thrive here that could not possibly grow even 30 miles away on the mainland in Cornwall thanks to warm fingers of Gulf Stream waters
- Iona Abbey, Scotland –See the idyllic setting of one of Scotland’s most spiritually and architecturally significant monasteries, with original architectural components dating as far back as the 12th century and history dating back to 563 AD. This is the site of the creation of the Book of Kells, a famous illuminated manuscript dating back to 800 AD.
- Torshavn, Faroe Islands –This is the capital city of the rugged, beautiful subpolar Faroe Islands. Walk through the quaint Nordic streets of the old city and visit Kirkjubøur, site of the 12th century Saint Olav’s Church.
- Vigur, Iceland –Visit tiny Vigur to see the life of Icelandic eiderdown collectors, and observe Atlantic Puffins and Artic Terns as we take an invigorating nature walk.
- Latrabjarg –From water level, you will marvel at one of Europe’s largest bird cliffs, where countless puffins, gannets, guillemots and razorbills live. The sounds, smells and sites will leave an indelible mark in your memories when you recall this wild destination.
Visit Iona Abbey and other stately and remarkable historic cathedrals and ancient churches.
Wildlife Watch List:
Shore and seabirds: Northern Gannets, Manx Shearwaters, Black, Common and Brünnich’s Guillemots, Razorbills, Great Cormorants, and Common Shags, Black-legged Kittiwakes, Atlantic Puffins, Arctic Terns and European Storm Petrels, Eurasian Oystercatchers and several gull species
Land birds: Short-eared Owls, Common Kestrels and Peregrine Falcons, Meadow Pipit
Marine mammals: humpback and Minke whales, grey seal, common seal Expedition highlights and wildlife listed here are possible experiences only and cannot be guaranteed.
Expedition highlights and wildlife listed here are possible experiences only and cannot be guaranteed. Your Expedition Leader and Captain will work together to ensure opportunities for adventure and exploration are the best possible, taking into account the prevailing weather, wildlife activity and ice conditions. Expedition Team members scheduled for this voyage are subject to change or cancellation.
Not sure what to wear while onboard? Visit our shop and gear up. We've got layers to keep you dry and warm, breezy wear to keep you covered and cool, and accessories to keep everything packed up and ready to go. So, no matter the weather, you'll be better prepared for your expedition.
Our Gear Shop has an expert outfitting staff and features all the essentials:
Make sure you get all your essentials today. We offer packages or individual items, for your convenience, and recommend you place orders at least 30 days before your embarkation date.