Circle Australia Adventure: 30 Amazing Days Aboard Silver Shadow
(8 July 2010) Outback, Great Barrier Reef, koalas, emus, wombats and wallabies -- the places and words that conjure up images of adventure, romance and the exotic are all on the menu for guests sailing aboard Silversea's first-ever voyage to completely circumnavigate Australia.
Next year, Silver Shadow will sail on a 30-day, Sydney-to-Sydney Voyage 3102. From 19 January to 18 February , the 382-guest, ultra-luxury ship will follow a counterclockwise course around the vast island continent with calls in Brisbane, Whitsunday Islands, Port Douglas, Cooktown, Darwin, Broome, Exmouth, Perth, Albany, Port Lincoln, Adelaide, Geelong, Melbourne and Hobart (Tasmania).
Steve Tucker, Silversea's vice president of field sales for North America, said: "It's not often you have the chance to explore an entire continent on one voyage. This itinerary will hold great appeal for those who seek unique travel experiences off the beaten path."
Throughout this special voyage, guests will enjoy an exciting enrichment programme, headlined by distinguished speakers from the worlds of film, art, nature, academia, winemaking and cuisine:
• Prof Geoffrey Blainey, one of Australia's best-known historians and commentators, will share his interesting perspectives on the Sydney-to-Darwin segment, 19 to 29 January;
• Mathew Macartney, executive chef of the Yarra Valley's famed Chateau Yering (a Relais & Châteaux member property), will join the ship 25 to 29 January, Port Douglas to Darwin, to host culinary presentations;
• Prof Craig Franklin, professor of zoology at the University of Queensland, will discuss Australian marine wildlife, 29 January to 11 February, Darwin to Adelaide;
• Noel Miller, artist renowned for his landscapes of the Australian outback, will discuss Aboriginal art, 29 January to 11 February, Darwin to Adelaide;
• Lyn Farmer, wine consultant for Silversea and James Beard Foundation Award-winning wine and food writer, will share his expertise, Darwin to Port Lincoln, 29 January to 10 February;
• Jamie Sach, chief spokesperson for the iconic Penfolds Wines, will share his extensive knowledge of the wine industry, 6 to 10 February, Perth to Port Lincoln;
• Simon Johnson, epicurean expert, will provide insight into Australia's rich abundance of artisan produce, 11 to 14 February, Adelaide to Melbourne;
• George Francisco, executive chef of Jonah's, one of Australia's oldest and most respected hospitality establishments and a Relais & Châteaux member property, will present cooking demonstrations, 13 to 18 February, Geelong to Sydney;
• John Stainton, the director and producer who directed all of naturalist Steve Irwin's documentaries, will lecture on Australian film, 14 to 18 February, Melbourne to Sydney;
• Dr Mark Elovitz, government advisor, historian and director of the Centre for Strategic Geopolitics, will share his insights into world affairs throughout the 30-day voyage;
• Ian Denton, a native Australian and world explorer, will also be on board the entire voyage to host lectures as Silversea's destination consultant.
And to further showcase the region's intriguing cultures, dramatic natural beauty and exotic wildlife, the line is offering two new optional mid-voyage excursions:
** "Kangaroo Island Luxury Eco Expedition" -- Widely regarded as Australia's Galapagos, Kangaroo Island is brimming with diverse wildlife and natural beauty. Enjoy luxurious accommodation at the South Ocean Lodge and a staff of naturalist guides to lead your exploration of the island's unique attractions. Memorable sightings might include kangaroos, rare Cape Barron Geese, koalas and sea lions. This three-day adventure, priced at US$4,799, is offered from Adelaide. Rejoin ship in Melbourne.
** "Australian Frontiers & Train Journey" -- Discover the heart of the Australian outback by rail aboard the glamourous Indian Pacific train as you watch unique landscapes unfold. Visit the opal-mining town of Coober Pedy, then travel to Adelaide to enjoy a culinary and wine adventure that takes in the famous Barossa Valley. This six-day adventure, priced at $7,799, is offered from Fremantle (Perth). Rejoin ship in Adelaide.
The prices listed above are per person, based on double occupancy. The optional mid-voyage land programmes feature deluxe accommodations (if overnight stays are required), all transportation, transfers, guided sightseeing and some meals.
Aboard the elegant Silver Shadow, guests will enjoy a crew-to-guest ratio of nearly one to one, an all-inclusive policy that includes a premium assortment of wines and spirits, impeccable service from a courteous and efficient staff, and luxurious onboard amenities. The ship's all-suite accommodation includes ocean views, butler service, 24-hour room service; and fine dining features signature dishes by Relais & Châteaux. Silver Savings fares for this special 30-day Australia voyage start at $17,637 per person, based on double occupancy.
Silversea Cruises is recognised as an innovator in the luxury segment, offering guests large-ship amenities aboard its intimate, all-suite vessels: Silver Cloud, Silver Wind, Silver Shadow, Silver Whisper and Silver Spirit -- all designed to offer an atmosphere of conviviality and casual elegance. With the inclusion of the regal expedition ship Prince Albert II, the company's itineraries encompass all seven continents.
In the US, Silversea has been voted "World's Best" by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler (nine times) and Travel + Leisure (seven times), and rated Number-One luxury cruise line by high-net-worth consumers in the 2008 Luxury Brand Status Index (LBSI). International awards include "Best Innovation in Products and Services" from the Italian Innovazione Marketing Oggi Awards (2009); "World's Leading Small Ships Cruise Line" from World Travel Awards (2009); "Five Star Diamond Award" from the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences (2010); "Number One" small-ship line in the Readers' Choice survey conducted by Britain's Condé Nast Traveller magazine (2007); "Best Luxury Cruise Line" Excellence Award by Spain's Cruise News Media Group (2009); "Best Luxury Cruise Line" by Australia's Luxury Travel & Style Magazine (2010); and "Best Luxury Cruise Operator" according to Asia's Travel Weekly (2008).
# # #
For more information on Silversea Cruises, please contact a travel agent.
For a complimentary brochure, please call toll-free (US) 877.215.9986 or visit www.silversea.com.
This press release was accurate at the date of issuance. It is the reader's responsibility to verify its continued accuracy, as information contained in the release may have changed.
Media Relations Contacts:
Phone: (954) 713.4030 (USA)
Phone: (954) 713-4029 (USA)
Phone: +61 2 9255 0600 (Australia)
Continental Europe, Russia, Ukraine
and CIS Countries, Israel, Africa
Phone: +377 97 70 22 54 (Monaco)
UK, Ireland and Middle East
Phone: +44 (0) 207 920 7023 (UK)