Unga Village, Alaska
Unga is a ghost town on the southern end of Unga Island in the Aleutian Islands. It was once a bustling town of over 100 people originally settled by Aleuts in 1833 and named Delarov, for Evstrat Delarov, the first Greek explorer and merchant to visit Alaska. In 1836 it had a name change to Ougnagok, and the post office was established in 1888. The name was changed again to Unga in 1894. Life was challenging in Unga, and the population decline gradually over time. The post office closed in 1958, and the last family left in 1969. Today, many ruins remain giving some idea of what life was like to live in such a remote, isolated place.