Suwarrow Island is a low lying coral atoll. It is very isolated, being about 60 miles northwest of Rarotonga. When first visited by Europeans, it was uninhabited, but it is believed that Polynesians periodically visited the islands pre-European discovery. The Russian ship Suvorov reportedly followed clouds of birds to the atoll in 1814. The captain named the island for his ship, which, in turn, had been named after the Russian General Alexander Vasilievich Suvorov. Suwarrow was declared a National Heritage Park in 1978 to protect is diverse wildlife. It island is home to abundant seabird populations, including thousands of red-tailed tropicbirds and lesser frigate birds, as well as huge endangered coconut crabs. The lagoon is home to hundreds or reef sharks and rare sea turtles. Mrs. Robert Louis Stevenson, who visited with her husband in 1890, described Suwarrow as "the most romantic island in the world".