Elfin Cove & George Island, Alaska
The southeast Alaska community of Elfin Cove lies on the northern shore of Chichagof Island, 70 miles west of Juneau and 33 miles west of Hoonah, and is only accessible by small seaplane or boat. IT has a total area of 10.7 square miles of land and 0.1 square miles of water. Historical accounts suggest the well-protected, flask-shaped harbour was originally called "Gunkhole" by local fishermen seeking anchorage. Its safe anchorage and close proximity to Fair-weather fishing grounds made this natural harbour an optimal location for fish buyers and supplies. During the 1920s, Ernie Swanson built a store, restaurant, and dock. Years later in 1935, his wife, Ruth applied for a post office and officially named it “Elfin Cove”. Elfin Cove’s historical roots as a fishing community exist today with most residents participating in fish-related economic activities including commercial fishing, sport fishing, and fishing charter services. As of 2014, Elfin Cove's population was 28 people. Today, the raised boardwalks allow for easy walking around this quaint little village.