Day 8 |
Jul 12, 2012

Off Northern Coast of Lagoya, Svalbard 

By Peter W. Damisch, Historian, General Naturalist, Polar Bear Guard, Zodiac Driver

Co-ordinates: N 80º22'23", E 18º18'10"
Weather: Bright Sunshine, Low Wind and Calm Seas
Air Temperature: 4ºC
Pressure: 1009 hPa
Wind: 5 knots

Please note the latitude, as our landing this morning and mid-day position placed us less than 1,100 km / 600 nautical miles from the North Pole. Furthermore, if you extended a ring all the way around the globe North of Europe, Siberia, Alaska, Canada and Greenland you would have found fewer than 350 people between our location and the North Pole. That always strikes me on these voyages as pretty incredible. However, we will be proceeding even farther north later in the day… but that part of this day’s great story comes just a bit later.

Our first operation of the morning was at Lagoya, which translates into ‘Low Island’. It is indeed a relatively modest and gravelly spot to the North and East of Spitsbergen. As you might imagine, the location is not particularly easy to reach. In addition, the risk to come this far is not always rewarded by wildlife, which could be out to sea feeding.

We had previously had good sightings at Torellneset. Lagoya offered us the opportunity to increase those numbers. Imagine our surprise and delight to discover not just one, moderate sized haul-out of walrus as is typically the case, but a two huge and independent haul-outs filled with literally more than 100 walrus.

I love the walrus, perhaps even a bit more or at least in a different way than the polar bear. Yes, the bear is magnificent and awe inspiring, always stunning to encounter. However, the walrus are a bit like family. You get to eat as much as you want, lie around with your friends in big, warm piles, then make rude and annoying noises to amuse your friends. This sounds like almost a perfect situation from my point of view.

At Lagoya I served as the Polar Bear Guard for the north end of the island. The day was filled with brilliant sunshine and I could plainly hear the cries of the walrus as they adjusted their position. I could also clearly see many walrus in the water as they transited to / from nearby feeding areas. Of course being downwind I could also smell the walrus, which is also quite a bit of an adventure just by itself.

All too soon at mid-day it was time to return to the ship so we could offer one of Silver Explorer’s long standing traditions, the Polar Plunge. Yes, we offer swimming north of 80 degrees of latitude for those hardy souls willing to make the dive into near freezing waters, if only for a moment. When asked about it and based on multiple, prior experiences, I always answer that the opportunity is a few moments of slight discomfort for a lifetime of bragging rights!

Just after lunch as the ship continued to the northeast towards the Sujuoyane Islands, Robin Aiello, our expert Marine Biologist, provided a comprehensive presentation on the ‘Seals of the Arctic’. We have seen a number of different species but all share at least one, common characteristic. Unlike in the Southern Hemisphere, all of our pinniped friends in this area are quite nervous creatures due to the threat of polar bear predation. Thus our encounters tend to be quite brief except of one particularly long interaction that I had with guests in my Zodiac a few days ago in the Andoyane Islands where a young Bearded Seal was quite curious to discover who or what we were. He/she kept swimming our Zodiac to check us out and we obtained some great photographs.

Today was an ‘Expedition Afternoon’. This means our actual schedule is driven by a wide variety of factors including weather, ice conditions and animal sightings. Plan after plan can be discarded almost hourly based on changing conditions.

The Silver Explorer began to sail into pack ice towards the late afternoon. Soon enough the radios crackled as one of the Expedition Team spotted a bear on the ice, then another, and two more, and one additional bear seen in the distance but all bears were initially seen at the far horizon. As the ship moved slowly ahead we could see that the nearest bear was on a small ice floe devouring a recent kill, likely to be a seal.

Word was quietly passed around the ship so that guests could make their way onto the outer decks as the ship moved quietly to ensure the bear was not disturbed. The Captain maneuvered the ship so skillfully that he was able to approach within a few hundreds of meters and the bear did not even give us a second look but continued to feed.

Even more impressive is that the Captain also placed the ship such that the bright sun was behind us, perfectly illuminating the cream colored bear and dramatically offset to the blood spattered ice as the bear continued his work. In addition to some of the best polar bear viewing that we have ever seen, I also observed the exchange of many camera memory cards as people had to keep changing them out due to the high numbers of photographs being taken by everyone.

Initially I helped people to spot the bear while it was still at a distance, then quietly answered polar bear behavior and feeding questions from guests. All too soon it was time to slowly depart from the bear and allow him to continue his meal without observers. I then went up the Bridge to review our next plans. But of course while we were discussing the plans for the balance of the evening we were also looking for additional bears.

Once again our long-distance looking while simultaneously going over the plans for the balance of the day really paid off. Several additional bears were spotted with several also working on polishing off a seal carcass.

This time the Expedition Team raced down to our standby area while the Deck Department quickly responded to unexpectedly launch Zodiacs and the Hotel Department scramble to rearrange dinner timing. Soon enough I had a group of guests in my Zodiac and we slowly / quietly proceeded past an ice floe with an abandoned seal carcass that was being picked over by several, beautiful Ivory Gulls.

Our destination did not disappoint. Within a space of about 100 meters there were 3 bears with 2 feeding on the same ice floe and one resting nearby. For most of the time the 2 bears were peaceable enough but there were a few occasions where they sparred over the remaining food, vocalizing loudly, each with muzzles spotted red with blood. It was a completely awesome sighting and easily one of the best ever seen on board the Silver Explorer. I later spoke to several guests who took more than 3,000 images each on this single day of exceptional encounters. Oh yes, I almost forgot to mention that this final polar bear viewing occurred at 80 degrees and 40 minutes North, our highest latitude for this wonderful voyage which still has several more exciting days to come! 

Tag 8
Juli 12, 2012
Stefan Kredel, Geologe

Wieder mal ein eher früher Morgen. Um 06:15 tönt mein Wecker. Auf dem Weg zur Brücke holte ich mir noch schnell einen (ersten) Kaffee in der Oberservation Lounge. Das Wetter war herrlich, windstill mit Sonne. Was will man mehr?

Silver Explorer war auf der Ansteuerung von Lagoya (die „flache Insel“), ein kleine Insel nördlich des 80. Breitengrades. Hauptattraktion hier die Walrösser. Und schon durch das Fernglas konnte man sie sehen.

Als wir dann um 07:30 Uhr an Land standen, da fanden wir sogar 3 unterschiedliche Plätze mit Walrössern vor. Insgesamt müssten es über 100 Tiere gewesen sein.

Bei Walrössern gelten striktere Richtlinien bezüglich Personenanzahl an Land. Es dürfen nicht mehr als 30 Personen nächst den so genannten „haul-outs“ der Walrösser sein. So booteten wir die Zodiacgruppen im Wechsel, eine nach der anderen, aus. Das kann hier im Norden eine recht kalte und unangenehme Aufgabe sein. Was hab ich hier schon in der Vergangenheit gefroren! Aber heute kein Thema! Angenehme Temperaturen, kein Wind und jede Menge Tiere.

Unsere Gäste schienen über das „Walrösser satt“ recht erfreut zu sein. Denn vor ein paar Tagen, da hatte wir ja schon mal Walrösser gesehen. Allerdings nur eine Gruppe von 6 Tieren, die recht inaktiv am Strand lagen. Heute war doch recht viel Aktivität zu sehen.

Um 11:00 Uhr kamen wir dann mit den letzten Gästen wieder zurück an Bord. Und der nächste Höhepunkt folgte. 29 Gäste (und 14 Besatzungsmitglieder) ließen es sich nicht nehmen beim angebotenen „Polar Plunge“ mitzumachen. Ein Sprung ins eisige Wasser nördlich von 80°. Das schien dann doch einige unserer Gäste zu motivieren, diese für mich nicht nachvollziehbare Tat zu vollbringen. Das Mittagessen folgte.

Nach dem Mittagessen sprachen mich einige Gäste an, was nun verkehrt sei. Man wolle doch Kurs West fahren, aber das Land sei auf der Steuerbordseite zu sehen. Stimmt, gut mitgedacht. Die Lösung war leicht. Es war keine unerwartete spontane Plattenbewegung, sondern ein neuer Plan. Es wurde beschlossen, auf Grund der perfekten Wetterbedingungen, Kurs Nordost zu nehmen, Richtung Packeis. Also bedeutete diesmal „Kurs West“, dass es der Kurs von Robin WEST war, unserem unerschrockenem Expeditionsleiter.

Einerseits kann man nie genug vom Packeis sehen, außerdem besteht hier immer die Möglichkeit den einen oder anderen Bären zu sichten. Etwa 3 Stunden waren es bis zum Packeis. Zeit für einen kleinen Mittagsschlaf. Danach ging ich mit Rapa Nui zur Teezeit. Interessante Gespräche hier, wie so oft. Zwischenzeitlich tauchten die ersten Eisschollen auf.

Kaum war die Teezeit vorbei, fand der Herr Direktor von Silversea Expeditions, Conrad Combrink, den ersten ersehnten Eisbären. Die Betonung liegt auf „ersten“. Denn im Laufe des Abends wurde es eine ganze Menge an Eisbären, um die 20 Eisbären waren es sicherlich. Wobei die letzten von vielen gar nicht mehr gesehen und beachtet wurden … Da waren viele Gäste und Kollegen entweder schon in den Federn, oder noch am Computer die Ausbeute der vorherigen Stunden zu sichten.

Also, der erste Eisbär hatte einen so genannten „Kill“. Sprich: er hatte eine Robbe erwischt, und erfreute sich gerade dieses Mahles. Wunderbare Sichtung vom Schiff, wobei auch das Vorschiff geöffnet wurde. Alle Gäste waren mit uns auf den Außendecks, und überall hörte man nur noch das Klicken der Kameras. Keiner wagte es etwas zu sagen, um den Eisbären bei seinem Mahl nicht zu stören.

Wie schon angedeutet, es wurden mehr und mehr Eisbären gesichtet. Und dann wurde beschlossen auch die Zodiacs zu Wasser zu lassen. Um 20:00 Uhr fuhren wir mit den ersten Gästen los. Zwei verschiedene Sichtungen gab es in Schiffsnähe. Insofern teilten sich die Boote in 2 Gruppen auf. In jeder Gruppe war auch einer unseren beiden Eisbärenwächter dabei, denn man weiß ja nie.

Bei der ersten Tour hatte ich einen Eisbären in wunderbaren Lichtverhältnissen. Wunderbar war er zu sehen, und diesmal waren wir mit ihm im wahrsten Sinne des Wortes auf Augenhöhe. Die Sonne verschwand langsam hinter einer Wolke und ich hatte schon ein leicht mulmiges Gefühl, ob auch die zweite Gruppe eine vergleichbar gute Sichtung bekommen würde. Und die hatten sie dann auch. Anders vom Licht, nicht so schön in der Sonne, dafür 3 Bären! 2 der Eisbären labten sich an den Resten einer Robbe, und etwa 100 Meter weiter saß ein jüngerer Eisbär und schaute zu. Auf mich machte er einen leicht hungrigen Eindruck, wie er da seine 2 größeren Kollegen beim Robbenmahl nur beobachten durfte.

Zurück an Bord, gingen Rapa Nui und ich noch auf einen Absacker in die Bar. Mit einigen Schweizern stießen wir auf diesen auch für uns, die hier schon seit Jahren unterwegs sind, besondern Tag an. Als ich um Mitternacht dann doch zu Bett ging, war die Bar noch immer recht gut gefüllt.