Day 2 |
Jun 23, 2010

Magdalenafjorden And Sallyhamna, Svalbard

By Juan Carlos Restrepo, Geologist

Co-ordinates: N 79º 33’, E 011º 10’

Weather: Overcast

Air Temperature: 1ºC

Pressure: 1006 hPa

Wind: 15 km/h

It does not get much better in terms of polar bear watching than what we had today, and perhaps I should not say this, because it could potentially be better, but I certainly have not had a better polar bear sighting, ever. So yes, it was outstanding, not only because of the quality of the encounter but also because you normally don’t see 7 bears together on day 2 of an arctic cruise, and yet, today we did!

But let me start with the beginning, woke up to a chilly and cloudy morning in the very scenic Magdalena Fjord, in northwest Spitsbergen. This area is part of Nordvesthjørnet nature reserve. It was here, in the far northwest, that Willem Barents and his crew discovered new land on 17 June 1596. They described the land as being “rugged for the most part, and steep, mostly mountains and jagged peaks, from which we gave it the name of Spitsbergen…”.

In the centuries that followed, the large number of bowhead whales found here attracted whalers from the Netherlands and various other countries, and the area became a place of high activity, both on the shore and in the surrounding sea. This is why Nordvesthjørnet offers the largest concentration of graves, blubber ovens and other cultural treasures in Spitsbergen, all dating back to this first era of the exploitation of Svalbard’s natural resources.

Magdalenafjorden is not only interesting form these points of view, but also from its outstanding scenic value. The alpine landscapes here are impressive and we took the opportunity to organize a Zodiac cruise for our guests this morning. It was a good cruise for wildlife with sightings of bearded seals, eider ducks, pink-footed geese, kittiwakes and glaucous gulls. There were also thousands of little auks nesting in the scree slopes, which were zooming by in that characteristic bee-swarm style flight of theirs. A majestic King Eider was also spotted amongst the common Eiders. We cruised for over an hour ending at the face of the Wagonwaybreen, a rather impressive glacier at the head of the fjord.

We then came back on board, and while the ship sailed towards Smeerenburg we had lunch, but at the same time Captain Aleksander Golubyev and Expedition Leader Stefan Kredel established contact with another vessel in the area that gave us the heads up regarding a spot where they had seen a few bears in the morning. With such a clue the Prince Albert II steamed towards Sallyhamna and at 3:30 pm we were in position to start a Zodiac cruise.

Just as expected, the bears were there. There were seven, including 3 cubs. The sight was simply magnificent. A whale carcass was the reason for such an unusual congregation and we got within very close range of the bears nibbling away on what was left of the backbone of a fin whale. We do know that this fin whale drifted onto the shores of Svalbard last September, and it has proved an ample source of food for the animal community, particularly bears.

Both guests and crew alike were mesmerized by the stunning views of these majestic animals. There were 3 females, one with a first year old cub, another with two second year old cubs, and a single female, as well as what we consider possibly a male.

Once on board one could feel the satisfaction and excitement amongst our guests. At 7 pm Captain Golubyev hosted his Captain’s Welcome Cocktail Party, followed by the delicious Captain’s Welcome Dinner, offered by the Executive Chef Torsten Spies and his team, and served by Maître d’Hotel Marcelo Affonso and his team.

Seeing so many bears took a lot of weight off our shoulders, certainly, but how are we going to top this in the following days? We shall see…

TAG 2 | Juni 23, 2010 | Heutiger Hafen Magdalenefjord, Svalbard
von Kara Weller, Biologin

Koordinaten: 79° 33 ’ N – 11° 10’ E (Mittags position)
Wetter: bewoelkt
Luft Temperatur: 1° C
Wind: 15km/h

Heute früh um ungefähr halb sieben sind wir langsam in den Magdalenefjord hereingefahren. Einen tiefen Fjord an der Nord - Ostküste von Svalbard, diese Bucht wude schon seit 1890 bei Touristen mit grosse Schiffen besucht als Turismus in Svalbard angefangen hat. Der Himmel war bewölked und wir konnten die Gipfel der Berge leider nicht sehen, aber trotzdem sah die Landschaft fabelhaft aus.

Den Wagonwaybreen Gletscher konnten wir vor uns sehen, und gleich nach dem Frühstueck sind wir in die Zodiacs gegangen um es ein bischen besser und näher anzuschauen. Bei der Zodiactour haben wir ein Bartrobbe gesehen und auch viele Vögel wie die Gryllteiste, Eissturmvogel, Küstenseeschwalbe, Gruppen von schönen Eiderenten, und auch Gruppen von Krabbentauchern die hoch über uns flogen. Wir haben sogra eine Prachteiderente beobachtet.

Nach einer Stunde sind wir zurück zum Schiff gefahren und haben uns mit einem warmen Getränk aufgewärmt.

Es dauerte eine weile bis wir zum nächsten Ziel kamen, aber inzwischen haben wir von einen anderen Schiff die Information von einer Eisbaerensichtung bekommen. Wir haben unsere eigentlichen Plaene geandert und nicht mehr Kurs auf Smeerenburg genommen, sondern sind zu der Stelle gefahren, wo die Eisbaeren gesichtet wurden. Dort angekommen haben wir unsere Zodiacs ins Wasser gelassen und uns auf den Weg gemacht.

Obwohl wir nur die hälfte unserer Gästen auf einmal in die Zodiacs mitnehmen konnten mussten wir die anderen Gaeste eine Weile warten lassen. Sie konnten jedoch die Eisbaeren vom Schiff aus beobachten. Es gab ren, da sie sich auf dem Eis bewegten.

Mit den Zodiacs sind wir zu den Bären gefahren. Als wir um die Ecke kamen gab es drei Bären – die Mutter mit zwei kleinen die nur 1 ½ Jahre alt waren, die von einem toten Wal frassen der halb unter dem Eis lag. Die Mutter schlief ruhig im Schnee nebenan und die zwei kleinen sind ein bisschen am Ufer herum gewandert.

Ein bisschen weiter weg gab es zwei grössere Bären die auf dem Eis schliefen, die ab und zu die Köpfe hoch hoben um ein bisschen herum zu schauen.

Obwohl wir die Bären fur ungefähr eine Stunde anschauten fühlte es sich nur wie ein paar Minuten an. Bald mussten wir zurück zum Schiff kehren, um weiter zu fahren.

Abends gab es eine Cocktailparty um alle Gaeste Wilkommen zu heissen. Der Kapitän und seine Offiziere wurden vorgestellt. Zum Abschluss wurde das Wilkommens-Dinner serviert.